Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Teenage Wasteland

Disclaimer: I'm posting from my iPhone, expect awful grammar and spelling.
So I had intended my first post to be a little "who am I" thing, then I realized, you probably don't care. So if you do want to know about me you'll have to pay close attention because I'm sure facts will be slipping through as I go. He reason I'm not posting about me is because something happened to me that is actually blog worthy.

I work at a fairly large hospital in patient food services. Yesterday I was Bringig back a cart with dirty trays on it, it was about 715 so the hall was pretty empty. I come around the corner and I see a woman bent over cleaning up the large pepsi she had just spilled all over the floor. She looked frustrated and exhausted but still took he time to find paper towels and clean it up. I stopped to help and found out she has been there 8 days strait with her child. Kudos to her for not walking away when she had the chance. But it's what she said to me that I wanna talk about. As I was helping her sop up the soda and ice she told me "you give me hope for your generation" of course I was smitten but then I started to think about it. Is my generation really that rough? This summer I'm attending a key club international confrence. There will be hundreds of teens there who do community service for fun. I'm later attending a month long camp to be a counselor for girls with disabilities, there are 20+ other teens doing the same. I have friends who are boy scouts and girlsvouts. Friends who volunteer all summer. Of course I know kids who are rough but they do not make up the majority of my generation. So stop concentrating on them and stereotyping all of us. We know we're the future and we've got a lot of changes to make, but we need you're support. so please don't be afraid. I know there's a lot of teens out here whO can really change the minds of adults who feel that way, you just have to give them a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment